WUVA, Inc. was created in 1947 to educate University of Virginia students in the art of commercial radio broadcasting. From 1947 to 1978, WUVA Radio operated as a commercial carrier-current (or closed circuit) station at UVA. In 1978, WUVA obtained an FCC license to operate WUVA(FM) on 92.7mHz, and WUVA’s mission necessarily expanded to serve Charlottesville, WUVA’s FCC-designated city of license.
Today, commercial radio as an industry encompasses a wide variety digital media, so WUVA’s mission has expanded to train students in digital media as well. Our platform for that purpose isWUVA News, which publishes via WUVA Online (http://www.wuvaonline.com/ ). WUVAOnline’s mission is to serve the needs of the University of Virginia community in Charlottesville, nationally, and worldwide. Specifically, WUVA Online’s audience includes:
- University of Virginia students
- University of Virginia faculty, staff, and administration
- UVA alumni locally, nationally, and world-wide
- Our audience generally in Charlottesville and surrounding counties
WUVA also works closely with the Media Studies Department in the University of Virginia’s College of Arts & Sciences, and is a co-founder of the Center for Media and Citizenship at the University of Virginia (http://www.